This tasty dish is very simple to make and not expensive at all to make. These enchiladas have become a favorite in our home and we have to make them at least once a month. They are better than most restaurants and even kids like them. This is also a meal that you can freeze and bake it later, which is great for the busy family or one of those nights where the husband will the one cooking. These are not spicy and very flavorful so everyone can enjoy it. Here is what you will need:
- 10 Soft Shell Tacos
- 3 5oz can Hormel Premium Chunk Chicken Breast
- 2 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese
- 3 TBSP Butter
- 3 TBSP Flour
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Can Diced Chilies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9X13 Pan. You might need to change the size of the pan if you choose larger soft shells.
- Begin to boil or grill the chicken, you want to be able to fully cook the chicken and the shred it to fit in the shells.
- Take the tortilla shells and fill them with the desired amount of chicken and cheese. Then roll it up and place in the pan. Repeat until the pan is full.
- In a saucepan, very carefully and slowly begin to melt the butter. You want to make sure that you do not burn the butter. Make sure it comes to a golden color.
- Once the butter is melted add the flour to the butter and stir for one minute.
- Then once you have done that add the broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Then once that has been heated up stir in sour cream and the can of diced chilies. You do not want this to boil so you might want to lower the temperature.
- Then evenly add the mixture over the assembled shells in the pan. Once it has been added then top it off with the desired level of cheese.
- Bake for 22 minutes and then broil for 3 minutes to brown the cheese. Then enjoy!
* Top with your choice of black olives, avocado or guacamole and some sour cream. We usually have this with some vegetables and some Spanish rice. It is such a good dinner for the whole family!
To learn more about how you can get cooking with cans, check out the Cans Get You Cooking Facebook, Pinterest
and YouTube pages.