Heartbreak is one of the most painful ailments that you can suffer. It’s more than just the pain of someone you love leaving your life; your whole body is affected. If you’ve gone through a serious breakup, dust yourself off after your mourning period and get your life back in order.
Get Rid of Reminders
It’s a hard thing to do, but it needs to be done. Go through your home and purge yourself of anything that reminds you strongly of your ex. Don’t forget things like:
- Colognes, perfumes, ejuice, shampoo or anything else they might have left at your house
- Cards and gifts
- Photos (don’t forget about deleting these off of Facebook too)
Delete Their Number
If you are really and truly attempting to move past this relationship, then there is no reason to keep their any of your ex’s contact information. Get rid of all phone numbers (work, home, cell, etc) and delete them from your social media accounts. Even if the split was amicable, having constant reminders is no way to move on.
Unfriend and Block
Yes, yes: You are your ex have a history and you are so involved with their family and you’re friends with their friends and…
No. Be honest with yourself. You shared plenty of good times with your ex’s friends and family, but now it’s too painful to have mutual connections with the people in their life. Go through all your social media accounts and get rid of everyone who is not a direct friend of yours. Their great-aunt Isabel who you only saw twice at Thanksgiving might have been very sweet, but unfriend her. It’s time to cut unnecessary ties.
Take Up a New Hobby
Relationships tend to take up a lot of personal time. Now that you have that time back, it’s time to help reinvent yourself as person minus them. Find something that you enjoy doing that has no associations with that person.
- Now’s your chance to pick up a skill that you’ve never tried before, but have always wanted to. Take a class in something that interests you.
- Sports can be a great way to channel aggression and pent-up anger. Have you thought about rugby or roller derby?
- If you are a dog owner, take yours to the dog park and meet other dog lovers. If nothing else, your pooch will have a great time!
If you’re trying your best to move on after a breakup, you know firsthand how difficult that can be. When you actually try and pull yourself together, you’ll be amazed at how life starts to get better too.