Mark Time with Spy Kids!
Life is one big hustle and bustle. Every morning we hit the ground running, and don’t stop until our heads hit the pillow at night. And every once in a while, there are moments when we wish we could stop time, bottle up our experience, and return to savor the memories at will.
In celebration of the November 22nd release of SPY KIDS: All the Time in the World on Blu-ray & DVD, we offer you these tips for creating your very own Time Capsule! Collect your favorite artifacts and memorabilia and mark a moment in time. Don’t have time for this project? Share the legacy of a treasured family heirloom with your readers telling them where it originated, how it was passed down, and whom you will be giving it to next!
TIME CAPSULE CREATION TIPS
Choose a Milestone
- The creation of a Time Capsule is much more fun when there’s something to celebrate! Select a special day for the ‘burial’ of your Time Capsule. Maybe it’s a milestone birthday, holiday, or a special date on the school-year calendar. The more memorable the event, the easier it is to track the passage of time.
Collect Your Artifacts
- Deciding what items to store in your Time Capsule can be tricky. Remember, the items you choose will be unavailable for day-to-day use! Good options include: a school assignment that you are exceptionally proud of; a stuffed animal or toy that you have recently out-grown, but still holds special meaning; a souvenir from a favorite trip like a keychain or magnet.
Create an Inventory List
- You’ll want to not only list the items you are including in your Time Capsule, but why you have included them. What makes each item special, and how does it represent your accomplishments, preferences, or interests at the time. This can be a couple of sentences, or even a short journal entry for a fun reflection upon retrieval of your Time Capsule!
Contain Your Items
- Your artifacts and memorabilia should be protected in an appropriate container. Choose something that can preserve against insect invasion and animal exploration. Often, a shoebox, coffee can, or reusable plastic container will do the trick. Just be sure seal with strong tape around the lid to ensure maximum security!
Clock Your Timeline
- It is recommended that the Time Capsule stay sealed for at least one full year from the date of ‘burial.’ However, the more time that you can let pass, the more fun a trip down memory lane can be when you finally open your capsule. Just don’t forget about it – mark a calendar with your unearthing date!
Conceal Your Capsule
- Traditionally, Time Capsules are buried in the ground outside. If that option isn’t available, parents are often good at finding some secret or out-of-the-way spots for your Time Capsule to live where it won’t be seen or disturbed until the unearthing date. Wherever you decide to put it, make sure at least 2 people know where it is located so it is not lost.
Countdown and Retrieve
- Make an event out of opening your Time Capsule! Prepare a special meal with your family, or invite some friends over to commemorate the time that has passed. Sharing your Time Capsule’s items and inventory is a fun way to celebrate your growth in life.
Publication provided by Click Communications