While you may have tried fajitas before I bet you probably haven’t tried them quite this way-cooked in dark rum that creates a sweetness and depth of flavor. What is easier and more convenient than a quick meal on the grill for helping you to get dinner on the table? The bonus is when you can get both convenience and super flavor and I really think that you will find that this recipe delivers both.
It is the perfect throw together meal for the middle of the week between spelling word practice and karate. Even better for a take and toss meal when heading overnight camping trip. Toss everything thing in the fridge to marinate for a few hours or even over night. Then, toss on your Char-Broil Kettleman grill for a few minutes and you are ready to serve dinner. The meat is much more flavorful than a traditional stove top fajita.
Don’t own a Char-Broil Kettleman? Get yours at Lowe’s or online at www.charbroil.com. This new charcoal grill from Char-Broil has great features that make grilling easier, learn more about the Kettleman grill. Gives you more control (over temperature, flare-ups and clean-up) at a price of $129. Grill lovers everywhere are cheering you on!
Grilled Rum Fajitas
- 2 lbs beef-skirt steak or sirloin cut
- 1 package of fajita seasoning (or your own blend)
- ½ cup dark rum
- ½ cup water
- 1 large onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cutting your steak into strips about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Combine dark rum, water, cornstarch, fajita seasoning, salt and pepper in a bowl to create the sauce.
- Add the steak strips and coat evenly. Seal the bowl tightly and marinate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat grill to cooking temperature.
- Slice onions and peppers in strips.
- Remove steak from marinate mixture and place on a grill basket or on foil on the heated grill.
- Cook for 5 minutes, turn strips and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add onions and peppers to steak and sprinkle with fajita seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 5 additional minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Serve with lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, guacamole, or any of your other favorite fajita toppings.
More about the Char-Broil Kettleman
More than 65 years ago, Char-Broil brought the first charcoal grill to market. In the years since, the company has introduced a series of innovations that are now standard among modern grills, always striving to make cookouts more enjoyable for the millions of people who barbecue each week. The latest breakthrough is Char-Broil’s new Kettleman 22.5” Charcoal Grill (MSRP $129), an updated and vastly improved kettle-style grill that is more efficient and easier to use.
While the shape may be familiar, the Char-Broil Kettleman Grill is no ordinary charcoal kettle – it is loaded with features that give backyard enthusiasts better control over every aspect of the cooking process:
- Temperature Control – With a super sized cool-touch damper on the grill’s lid, heat management is easy. Vents around the body of the kettle allow air to fuel the fire from all sides, providing even heat to the cooking surface.
- Flare-Up Control – A porcelain coated no-fall-through grate allows charcoal flavor through while keeping flames away from food. Wood chips can be thrown on the grate and small foods like shrimp or asparagus will never fall into the fire.
- Charcoal Control – Designed to grill twice as many burgers with the same 50 briquettes as the leading kettle. Ash Control – A slide-in, porcelain-coated ashtray is tight against the grill making cleanup and maintenance simpler than ever.
- Stability Control – Wide stance, heavy-gauge steel legs add stability and easy mobility. A bottom shelf doubles as a holder for the cooking grate or other accessories.
- The Kettleman also has a hinged, latching lid that never has to touch the ground during the grilling experience and makes moving the grill a breeze.