Iowa winters are very, very cold. So I like to create meals of bulk that warm the body from the inside out. Soup is one of the easiest comfort foods to make for our large family and they offer that feel good warmth that is long desired during the colder days. Also soups freeze well for future meals.
Broccoli & Cheese Potato Soup
- 1 Cup Diced Onion
- 1 Cup Diced Celery
- 1 Cup Diced Carrots
- 3 Cups Chopped broccoli (raw)
- 3 Cups Diced Potatoes peeled
- 2 Tablespoon Parsley
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound diced Velveeta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
Flour Mixture Directions:
- Blend 1 1/2 cup milk with 3 Tablespoons Flour whisk till all lumps are gone, then stir into veggies.
- Stir until well blended, add 1 pound diced Velveeta cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese stir until melted and well blended.
Main Dish Directions:
- Place in a large pot on the stove top.
- Add all the vegetables and bullion cubes.
- Cover with 6 cups water simmer until vegetables are tender, normally takes 20-25 minutes.
- Once veggies are tender, take half of the vegetables out, put them in a blender and puree them.
- Next step is to add milk flour mixture
- Take off heat, salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!